Just like how someone who is earning from selling pirated books is similar to stealing, in the same way buying pirated books is similar to supporting a thief. You pay these pirated book sellers money for cheating with the authors and stealing their work without their permission. Hence this is where readers go wrong and are actually not supporting the author but rather their wrong doers.
I understand that sometimes original books are quite expensive but still buying pirated booked is an injustice done to authors and publishers.
So what can readers do?
- You can join a library to read books from your favourite author. You will have to do some research to find a good library in your area but your efforts will be worth it. You can even check out some online libraries that keep an e-copy of the book with the author’s permission.
- Make a pact with your reader friends and purchase your favourite books by sharing their costs.
- Amazon allows you to purchase books and then sell them back as used books. This way you will now have to pay a hefty amount to read the latest book.
- Start a book club where the sole purpose is to exchange books with other readers. This way you will get to read more books without having to spend a lot of money.
- There are lot of groups on Facebook that sell used books. You can join one where sellers are from your area. If that is not available then why not you be the one to start such a group exclusively for your area.
The sky is the limit. You just have to be creative. Do whatever you can to support your favourite authors and this does not include purchasing pirated books.
You can drop in more ideas in the comments section below.